How To Host the Perfect Heritage Day Braai
Love a good old South African braai?
It’s no secret that us South Africans love a good braai. Whether it’s a quick chicken supper on a weekday or a leisurely meat-filled Saturday, braaiing is a firm South African tradition practiced all over the country. With Braai Day just around the corner, it’s time to get a little sentimental by celebrating and appreciating what South Africa means to us the only way we know how… with a braai.
South African’s will spend more on a house with a braai area.
Here’s the PropertyFox guide to hosting that extra-special gathering this Heritage Day.
- Invite all your special people
What’s a braai without family or friends? Choose to keep it small with just your nearest and
dearest or extend the invite to the whole family and your favorite friends – either way, try to use this public holiday to spend quality time with people you love.
- Get outside if you can
As a tradition that is very much associated with warm weather, braaiing is a key part of any South African summer. Corresponding perfectly with the start of spring, Braai Day is a great opportunity to get outside and enjoy first of the summer sun… if the weather cooperates of course.
- Be prepared
It’s not guaranteed that the weather will play along, so try and be prepared just in case the sun decides not to make an appearance. The benefit of having an indoor or covered braai area is that this is never a worry – you’ll always be braai ready. If you’re limited to the outdoors, you’ll just have to hope for the best and bring out the umbrellas if need be!
- Get traditional
Of course the hero of any great braai is the food. Delicious meat is essential but the sides, snacks and dessert are just as important! Our advice for this Heritage Day is to get traditional. Draw on your own family customs as well as classic South African braai accompaniments to create the perfect menu. Chips and dip, potato salad, boerie rolls, fresh leafy greens, ice-cream with bar-one sauce and peppermint crisp tart are some of our favourites. Oh, and don’t forget the booze!
- Set the scene
If you have a garden and/or pool be sure to dig out the inflatables, the volleyball net and swing ball… great braais include all kinds of summertime fun – especially the kinds that keep the kids entertained. If you’re limited space-wise, put on an old CD or create a playlist of summer hits to get everyone in the mood.
Equipped with these top tips, we know that your Braai Day will be sizzler. If your braai set-up is in need of a revamp, check out our #WINaWeber competition on Facebook!
Looking for a home that’s braai-friendly?
If you saw the results of our recent “no braai, no buy poll” and like the rest of South Africa will spend more money on home with a braai area, here are some of our current favourite listings:
- Four bedroom house in Bergvliet: With an indoor and outdoor braai area as well as a garden and beautiful pool, this listing has plenty of space for all your summer gatherings, big or small.
- Five bedroom house in Panorama: This listing has a gorgeous outside area perfect for summer braais. The combination of a braai, jacuzzi, bar and heated pool make this place an entertainer’s dream.
- Five bedroom house in Witbank: Just because you don’t have a garden doesn’t mean you can’t get sizzling. This listing has an indoor braai area that leads out onto a balcony.
- Four bedroom house in Alphen Park: This lake-side listing combines a sheltered pool and braai area with a stunning garden – an ideal combination for summer-time entertaining.
- Five bedroom house in Wild Fig Country Estate: With modern interiors, plenty of indoor and outdoor entertainment space and a built-in braai on a balcony, all this house needs is a family to fill it.